Sunday, July 10, 2011

Someday

Ivy is a lucky girl.  While the older kids bite, scratch, tease, hit, scream, and curse at each other, every last one of them adores Ivy.  They play with her, carry her around, keep her safe, teach her things, share their cookies with her, and generally love her.  They fight over who gets to lay next to her at night (usually no one because they can't stop arguing long enough to let her fall asleep) and who gets to pluck her happy self out of bed in the morning.  This morning Violet got the honors (well, actually Daddy got her out of bed but Violet helped).  As I changed Ivy's diaper Violet peeked over my shoulder and made faces at her.


"You love Ivy, huh?" I said.
"Yeah, she's the cutest little baby," Vi replied.
"When you grow up do you think you'll be a mommy someday and have your own baby?" I asked.

Violet pondered that for a moment.  You could see the wheels spinnning.


"I do want to," she said, "But I don't know how to drive."
I chuckled a little, "Don't worry, when you're older I'll teach you how to drive."
"Can you also teach me how to feed a baby with my boobies?" she inquired.
"Sure," I said, "I can help you figure it out."
"Okay," she said, satisfied.

Now that I think about it, as a mother I do spend an inordinate amount of time driving people places and breastfeeding (though never simultaneously).




 Definitely two of the more useful skills in my Mom Toolbelt.

That got me wondering about where the boys were sitting on the issue.  Mitchell used to want to have a wife and family and I wondered what his plans were now.  When we discussed the issue of marriage a few months ago, this is what the boys had to say...

(At this point the boys had already decided they were going to be lifelong roommates)

Mitch: I think I'd like a wife

Henry:  Not me, they kick you off the computer and make you to do chores.

Mitch:  But we need wives, we need someone to take care of the babies.

Henry:  We don't need babies, they're too much work.

Mitch:  Good point.  But we still need wives.  Otherwise who is going to guard the house while we're at work?

Henry:  Okay fine... (he pauses)  ...wait a minute, we can just get a lock!  Then nobody can get in!

Mitch:  Yeah, a lock!

When I asked Mitch today about possible future fatherhood he said no, babies are too much work.  When I asked Henry the same question he had a new sort of answer today.


"No way, having babies is gross!"
"Well, it would be the mama actually having the baby," I offered, "You don't HAVE to watch."
"NO," Henry said, "MAKING the baby is too gross.  I'm never doing that."

I forgot that a while back he had gotten a little persistent with the "Where do babies come from?  And how did they get in there?" questions.  He got more or less the full scoop so he's totally turned off on fatherhood now.  Ah well, best that they think sex is "gross" for as loooong as possible.  I wonder if Violet's answer will change once she has all the specifics on exactly how babies get in there and how they get out. Hmmmm...

What about your kids?  Do they think they want to be parents some day?

4 comments:

  1. LOL I loved the boys' answer the first time around, how they're discussing the labor involved with child-rearing...

    As for me, my teen swears he's not having a family anytime soon if ever. He says he has a weird/goofy sister as it is, and wouldn't want to have a similar version 24/7 in his own place.

    Rugrat, on the other hand, has millions of "babies" in her room that she feeds & cares for, even obsessing over changing their dirty diapers... But then, she was the baby that my teen has seen grow up, whereas she herself hasn't had a baby around.

    Maybe once your kids are all grown up & with families of their own, you can frame/dress-up their little conversation & give it to them as a "1st-time Dad" gift or something, a way of showing them how far they've come in life..?

    This blog is a good read, and you can bet that I'll be stalking you. (Ugh, that sounded creepier than I intended. LOL) Oh, and BTW -- welcome to the SAHbbatical Blog Hop for Stay-at-Home parents! Have fun with the rugrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love that your daughter thinks she must drive and be able to feed babies from her boobies before she can have a baby! The boy's logic is even more awesome! Love your blog...the layout is great, your voice is like that of an old friend just shooting the sh--, and your kids sound hilarious! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They aren't quite sure yet. My oldest is 12 & that is something I hope she waits to decide about after college or she is established. She is a good big sister though. She is very motherly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the first convo between the boys - That's too funny! I'm visiting from the Breastfeeding Blog Hop. Great Blog - I'll be following!
    Crystal
    http://www.SoooBig.WordPress.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...